Roch: Duquette confirms no Fielder, Reynolds to 1B?

ChaosLex

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DD just playing his hand close to the vest. Clearly planning on swooping in last minute with Wow offer.:rolleyestf:

BTW...It's been pretty obvious for awhile now that the plan was to go Reynolds at 1st. I am a little suprised that they aren't looking at 3B in FA or trade.

I must admit, and I know its not the common opinion around here, but I am liking Double D's approach. Plus, its kinda refreshing to here a GM shoot straight with us and not try to pull any punches.

And yet, I know that at least one Hangouter up north will spin this into "DD just doesn't want to show his cards..."

I think we have to see what we have in Davis and Reynolds. Some think that Reynolds is due for a bounce-back year at 3rd, some think that Davis is better suited at 3rd. I don't care what the combo is as long as it's successful. But it would sure be nice to have 60 HRs and 180 RBI from our CIs if they could be competent defenders.

I think this is the most informative interview Duquette has given to date. He's told us exactly what he's thinking -- backup catcher, another outfielder, and pitching.

Two things I found very interesting. The first is, Duquette has brought Antonelli in for more than just a look-see.

"If you look at his on-base and his slugging, that's pretty good if it translates to the big leagues," Duquette said.

"A good third baseman is hard to find, but Antonelli should be a good player for us," Duquette said. "The other strength that he has is he has good leadership ability, and he will be a fan favorite. Fans will like Antonelli because of th

e way he plays and he has a winning personality.

"He looks like a ballplayer. He's got a good look about him, and he's a former No. 1 pick. To me, that identifies his ability, right? There are reasons why he's not in the big leagues playing, but primarily it had to do with some injuries that he had. But he looks to be over those."

The follow up part about Davis also was interesting:

"A third base of Davis and Antonelli, I think, would be pretty good. We'd have solid defense, and then pretty fair offensively capability, too. If you take a look at Bill James' projections, they're projecting Davis to slug at .500 next year. Obviously, he'd have to mature and his approach would have to be consistent for him to do that, but he's got that kind of capability."

I don't know whether to be impressed that Duquette can cite Bill James' projections, or worried that he's citing them as evidence for something.

Overall, I am totally supportive for the approach Duquette is taking. He clearly plans to give some opportunities to young players to show what they can do with extended playing time. He also said he doesn't want to bring in a DH, but let Buck rotate guys in that spot, which I think is the right approach with the makeup of this particular team. We still need to see how he fills the holes, but I think the overall approach makes a lot of sense.

Archived